- Open daily 8 am – 8 pm
- Issue guest passes
- Manage lost and found, service request forms, and music room keys
- Receive registered mail and packages
- Contact: 416-977-0707, Ext. 0
Community safety is the shared commitment and responsibility of all staff and students at Chestnut Residence. The following systems are in place to keep our residence as safe as possible:
- On duty 24/7
- Patrol common areas and building exterior
- Check for key cards and guest passes
- Attend to emergencies
- Contact: 416-585-3155
Keys / Guests
- Key cards and guest passes must be shown each time you pass the security desk
- Key card required to open your room door and to operate elevators
- Guests must show photo ID and be signed in
- You are responsible for your guests at all times
Don-on-Duty – (416) 791-0420
- On duty every night from 8 pm – 8 am
- On duty 24 hours on the weekend
- Completes rounds of student floors and ensures quiet hours are respected
- Carries a cell phone and responds to student emergencies
- Available 7 Days a week/365 from dusk until dawn.
- Call 416-978-SAFE (7233) any time to arrange for patrollers to come to your location during service hours. It is also possible to arrange for regular walks with the same pick up location and time each week. For prompt service calling in advance is recommended. WalkSmart will escort students to any building on the St. George Campus, including Chestnut Residence, as well as surrounding TTC locations.
- call the Don-on-Duty (416) 791-0420
- call Front Desk – dial 0 from any residence room
- call Security – 416-585-3155
- 911 should be called only in the following cases:
- a life threatening emergency – e.g. someone is choking
- there is a fire in the building
- a significant crime is in PROGRESS – e.g. assault
- an immediate threat to life
Regular cleaning schedule:
Occasional changes may take place due to unforeseen staff scheduling – thank you for your patience!
- MONDAY – 27th floor down to rooms 2142-2152
- TUESDAY – 21st floor down to rooms 1651-1653
- WEDNESDAY – 16th floor down to rooms 1246-1253
- THURSDAY– 12th floor down to 11th floor
- FRIDAY – 10th floor to 5th floor
2020-21 Service Updates
We recognize this is a challenging year and are here to work with you! Contact us at email@example.com for any of the following:
- Want to be notified of changes to your weekly cleaning schedule
- Need to skip cleaning for the week? Just send us an email 24 hours (1 business day) in advance
- Need a little time? You can ask the room attendant to come back within 20 minutes, if you are still not ready to have your room cleaned then it will automatically be rescheduled for cleaning the following week.
Still have questions or concerns? Contact us and we will try to work with you! This may take 1-2 business day, for any urgent items please contact the Front Desk.
What type of housekeeping services are provided? How can I prepare?
Each room is cleaned weekly (and toilet paper will be replenished) by a member of our housekeeping staff. Your housekeeping schedule will be given to you at the beginning of the year. In order to prepare for housekeeping to clean your room, please keep in mind the following things:
- Remove personal belongings from the floor so that they are able to vacuum the space. This includes any cables that might be in the way, and it is recommended that you keep your shoes tucked away as well.
- Your bathroom tub, toilet, and sink will be cleaned, and the available counter spaced will be cleaned as well, so long as housekeeping does not have to move any items. You are welcome to clear your counter if you would like it cleaned entirely.
- If you have any questions about cleaning please speak to your regular cleaning staff or to your Residence Don.
We have a dedicated team of in house maintenance staff that are here to help support the needs of students in their physical spaces. Maintenance requests can be submitted at any time on the Chestnut Residence Maintenance Portal, and will be addressed in order of priority.
For an immediate maintenance emergency students can contact the front desk in order to request service.
There is a phone on each floor that is located near the elevator. You may use the following extensions to connect with our staff in the building:
- Security: 53155
- Front Desk: 30001
- Residence Office: 53160
- ResNet: 53182
Alternatively, if you wish to call any staff within the building from your own personal cellphone, you will need to dial the full number:
- Security: 416-977-0707, Ext. 2 or 53155
- Front Desk: 416-977-0707, Ext. 0 or 30001
- Residence Office: 416-977-0707, Ext. 3 or 53160
- ResNet: 416-977-0707 Ext. 53182
Wi-Fi is now available throughout the Chestnut building on the University of Toronto network.
Your Internet Access
- Get your computer ready for Chestnut
- UofT Bandwidth Usage Classification
- UofT Network IP Address Blocked List (wired connections)
- UofT Network IP Address Blocked List (wireless connections)
- UofT Network IP Address Quarantined List
- U of T Antivirus
- Wireless Access
- Illegal download and/or distribution of copyrighted materials will result in denial of internet
- Complete Network Usage Agreement
- Telephone: 416-585-3182
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
To proactively protect our staff and our residents in response to COVID-19, the ResNet Help Desk will not provide in room support during this time. Please send a details message to email@example.com or call 416-585-3182 with your name, call back number, room number and the nature of the issue. ResNet will respond back at their first opportunity as per the work schedule below:
*Closed during the university winter break from Wednesday Dec 23, 2020 until Friday Jan 1, 2021 inclusive. ResNet will return to normal operation hours on Monday January 4, 2021.
ShuffleSpace – An all-inclusive packing and storage service
Store Your Dorm – A short-term storage service
Residence Linens – A selection of bed linens as well as bath and kitchen essentials
Bed Bath & Beyond – A varied selection of home goods, including bedding, kitchenware, towels & decor items
*Please note that these are external vendors and are not part of Chestnut Residence & Conference Centre or the University of Toronto.
Urban Lounge Floor Access Schedule
Please Socialize Responsibly:
- Only visit Urban Lounge during your floors allotted times.
- Max. Capacity: 10 people.
- Sign-In using the paper/pen sign-in system at the Front of Urban.
- Always wear a mask.
- Stay 6 feet apart at all times.
|Floor 5||Sunday 11pm-Midnight, Monday 6am-9am, Thursday 6pm-9pm|
|Floor 6||Sunday 10pm-11pm, Monday 9am-noon, Thursday 9pm-midnight|
|Floor 7||Sunday 9pm-10pm, Monday noon-3pm, Thursday 6am-9am|
|Floor 10||Sunday 8pm-9pm, Monday 3pm-6pm, Thursday 9am-noon|
|Floor 11||Sunday 7pm-8pm, Monday 6pm-9pm, Thursday noon-3pm|
|Floor 12||Sunday 6pm-7pm, Monday 9pm-midnight, Thursday 3pm-6pm|
|Floor 14||Sunday 5pm-6pm, Tuesday 6am-9am, Friday 6pm-9pm|
|Floor 15||Sunday 4pm-5pm, Tuesday 9am-noon, Friday 9pm-midnight|
|Floor 16||Sunday 3pm-4pm, Tuesday noon-3pm, Friday 6am-9am|
|Floor 17||Sunday 2pm-3pm, Tuesday 3pm-6pm, Friday 9am-noon|
|Floor 18||Sunday 1pm-2pm, Tuesday 6pm-9pm, Friday noon-3pm|
|Floor 20||Sunday noon-1pm, Tuesday 9pm-midnight, ,Friday 3pm-6pm|
|Floor 21||Sunday 11am-noon, Wednesday 6am-9am, Saturday 6pm-9pm|
|Floor22||Sunday 10am-11am, Wednesday 9am-noon, Saturday 9pm-midnight|
|Floor 23||Sunday 9am-10am, Wednesday noon-3pm, Friday 6am-9am|
|Floor24||Sunday 8am-9am, Wednesday 3pm-6pm, Saturday 9am-noon|
|Floor 25||Sunday 7am-8am, Wednesday 6pm-9pm, Saturday noon-3pm|
|Floor 26/27||Sunday 6am-7am, Wednesday 9pm-midnight, Saturday 3pm-6pm|
As of October 1st, 2020, Urban Crew in Urban Lounge is operational with the following schedule:
- Monday: 8:00 PM – 11:00 PM
- Tuesday: 8:00 PM – 11:00 PM
- Wednesday: 5:00 PM – 11:00 PM
- Thursday: 5:00 PM – 11:00 PM
- Friday: 5:00 PM – 12:00 MIDNIGHT
- Saturday: 12:00 NOON – 12:00 MIDNIGHT
- Sunday: 12:00 NOON – 12:00 MIDNIGHT
Watch tv, socialize, play foosball or pool. This space is used for social activities and events for students, and is located on the main floor of the building.
- Open 24/7 with pay-per-use washers and dryers.
- Machines are operated with a loadable laundry card.
- 1 load of laundry is $2.25, 1 load in the dryer is $1.75
For safety reasons, bicycles are not permitted in student rooms. You can store your bike in 1 of 2 rooms located on the concourse level.
Register your bike at the Front Desk and they will program your key card to allow access to bike rooms.
Remember to keep your bike locked up, even in the bike room.