- Open daily 8 am – 8 pm
- Issue guest passes
- Manage lost and found, service request forms, and music room keys
- Receive registered mail and packages
- Contact: 416-977-0707, Ext. 0
Community safety is the shared commitment and responsibility of all staff and students at Chestnut Residence. The following systems are in place to keep our residence as safe as possible:
- On duty 24/7
- Patrol common areas and building exterior
- Check for key cards and guest passes
- Attend to emergencies
- Contact: 416-585-3155
Keys / Guests
- Key cards and guest passes must be shown each time you pass the security desk
- Key card required to open your room door and to operate elevators
- Guests must show photo ID and be signed in
- You are responsible for your guests at all times
Don-on-Duty – (416) 791-0420
- On duty every night from 8 pm – 8 am
- On duty 24 hours on the weekend
- Completes rounds of student floors and ensures quiet hours are respected
- Carries a cell phone and responds to student emergencies
- Available 7 Days a week/365 from dusk until dawn.
- Call 416-978-SAFE (7233) any time to arrange for patrollers to come to your location during service hours. It is also possible to arrange for regular walks with the same pick up location and time each week. For prompt service calling in advance is recommended. WalkSmart will escort students to any building on the St. George Campus, including Chestnut Residence, as well as surrounding TTC locations.
- call the Don-on-Duty (416) 791-0420
- call Front Desk – dial 0 from any residence room
- call Security – 416-585-3155
- 911 should be called only in the following cases:
- a life threatening emergency – e.g. someone is choking
- there is a fire in the building
- a significant crime is in PROGRESS – e.g. assault
- an immediate threat to life
Summer 2021 Regular Cleaning Schedule:
Housekeeping services will begin the week of May 10th.
The weekly schedule is as follows:
- Mondays or Tuesdays (Floors 8 & 9)
Occasional changes may take place due to unforeseen staff scheduling – thank you for your patience!
2020-21 Service Updates
We recognize this is a challenging year and are here to work with you! Contact us at email@example.com for any of the following:
- Want to be notified of changes to your weekly cleaning schedule
- Need to skip cleaning for the week? Just send us an email 24 hours (1 business day) in advance
- Need a little time? You can ask the room attendant to come back within 20 minutes, if you are still not ready to have your room cleaned then it will automatically be rescheduled for cleaning the following week.
Still have questions or concerns? Contact us and we will try to work with you! This may take 1-2 business day, for any urgent items please contact the Front Desk.
What type of housekeeping services are provided? How can I prepare?
Each room is cleaned weekly (and toilet paper will be replenished) by a member of our housekeeping staff. Your housekeeping schedule will be given to you at the beginning of the year. In order to prepare for housekeeping to clean your room, please keep in mind the following things:
- Remove personal belongings from the floor so that they are able to vacuum the space. This includes any cables that might be in the way, and it is recommended that you keep your shoes tucked away as well.
- Your bathroom tub, toilet, and sink will be cleaned, and the available counter spaced will be cleaned as well, so long as housekeeping does not have to move any items. You are welcome to clear your counter if you would like it cleaned entirely.
- If you have any questions about cleaning please speak to your regular cleaning staff or to your Residence Don.
We have a dedicated team of in house maintenance staff that are here to help support the needs of students in their physical spaces. Maintenance requests can be submitted at any time on the Chestnut Residence Maintenance Portal, and will be addressed in order of priority.
For an immediate maintenance emergency students can contact the front desk in order to request service.
There is a phone on each floor that is located near the elevator. You may use the following extensions to connect with our staff in the building:
- Security: 53155
- Front Desk: 30001
- Residence Office: 53160
- ResNet: 53182
Alternatively, if you wish to call any staff within the building from your own personal cellphone, you will need to dial the full number:
- Security: 416-977-0707, Ext. 2 or 53155
- Front Desk: 416-977-0707, Ext. 0 or 30001
- Residence Office: 416-977-0707, Ext. 3 or 53160
- ResNet: 416-977-0707 Ext. 53182
Wi-Fi is now available throughout the Chestnut building on the University of Toronto network.
Your Internet Access
- Get your computer ready for Chestnut
- UofT Bandwidth Usage Classification
- UofT Network IP Address Blocked List (wired connections)
- UofT Network IP Address Blocked List (wireless connections)
- UofT Network IP Address Quarantined List
- U of T Antivirus
- Wireless Access
- Illegal download and/or distribution of copyrighted materials will result in denial of internet
- Complete Network Usage Agreement
- Telephone: 416-585-3182
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Summer 2021 Schedule:
To proactively protect our staff and our residents in response to the COVID pandemic, also due to the current very limited residence capacity this summer, effective Monday May 17th ResNet will provide their services remotely from home Saturday to Thursday from 6:00 PM to 7:00 PM, and only one day onsite, Friday from 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM.
To better assist, when contacting ResNet via email at email@example.com or telephone at 416.585.3182, residents are encouraged to leave their name, room number, call back number and nature of the issue. ResNet will respond back at their first availability.
ShuffleSpace – An all-inclusive packing and storage service
Store Your Dorm – A short-term storage service
Residence Linens – A selection of bed linens as well as bath and kitchen essentials
Bed Bath & Beyond – A varied selection of home goods, including bedding, kitchenware, towels & decor items
*Please note that these are external vendors and are not part of Chestnut Residence & Conference Centre or the University of Toronto.
Summer 2021 Floor Schedule
Please Socialize Responsibly:
- Only visit Urban Lounge during your allotted floor time.
- Maximum Capacity: 10 people.
- Sign-In using the paper/pen sign-in system at the front of Urban
- Always wear a mask.
- Stay 6 feet apart at all times.
Watch tv, socialize, play foosball or pool. This space is used for social activities and events for students, and is located on the main floor of the building.
- Open 24/7 with pay-per-use washers and dryers.
- Machines are operated with a loadable laundry card.
- 1 load of laundry is $2.25, 1 load in the dryer is $1.75
For safety reasons, bicycles are not permitted in student rooms. You can store your bike in 1 of 2 rooms located on the concourse level.
Register your bike at the Front Desk and they will program your key card to allow access to bike rooms.
Remember to keep your bike locked up, even in the bike room.
Intended as a space for residents to relax, meditate or do yoga, the wellness room is located on the 28th floor next to the study rooms.
The room includes:
- Sun Lamp
- Massage Chair
- Bluetooth Speaker
- Bean Bag Chair
- Yoga Mat